25 August 2013

Off to the Orient......

So, it's been a while since my last posting..... school holidays, kids to entertain, general chill out and a multitude other things have meant that personal projects have been put on hold for the past few weeks.

That said, stuff has been going on....

It's difficult to not to notice that my last few posts have centred on lattice creation.... I have since created my ultimate lattice tool.... well ultimate for now and until inspiration breeds something new. Anyway, it's great and I'll get it onto Creative Crash, make a demo video and write a post all about that later.

I've also got shiny new camera stuff in the shape of a focal reducer... a focal what??... you heard me, a focal reducer... I'll let you into what that does in another post that I have planned for the very near future but the aim of this particular post is not to focus on focal reducers.

I got some great news the other day about my Shadow & Light animation, it got selected for SIGGRAPH Asia this year and will be presented as part of their Computer Animation Festival in Hong Kong.


I've been blown away by the popularity and success of this little animation, and I might also add a little perplexed!

Yes there is 3 months worth of research and development that went into my being able to make the film but the final product was initially made very quickly for a local event and I figured that would be the end of it, but it has since been shown at Animex, SIGGRAPH and now SIGGRAPH Asia so how did that happen....?

I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that I submitted my work in the first place, I was brought up with the saying "shy bairns get nowt" instilled in my conscience and it has worked in my favour in this case but why this particular animation? What is it about Shadow & Light that people like?

I really have no idea.... perhaps it's a zeitgeist thing, I may have inadvertently created something that aligns with what people want to look at or can empathise with at this current time... I normally deal with narrative and don't really understand art so when I make an "art" piece that becomes popular, of course I'd like to be able to do it again but, as I don't truly understand what I've done....... well, you get where I'm coming from.

Whatever the reasons I'm well chuffed that it's getting presented on these international stages and is being shown in amongst some truly amazing and inspiring work.

No comments:

Post a Comment